Thank you for contributing to the STEP UP movement! By talking directly with teachers, you can develop a close rapport and are highly likely to encourage them to join STEP UP and use our curriculum. This activity should take about 15 minutes for prep and 7 minutes per call. Remember, once you reach out to a teacher, submit their name to be entered to win sweet swag!
When you find teachers to call, download this phone call script to guide your conversation!
If you need more help with this activity, check out our outreach FAQ.
The goals of this call are:
- Suggest the teacher registers for STEP UP.
- If already registered or really interested, suggest the teacher uses the STEP UP materials in their classroom.
How to make your call count
You can find high schools local to you or contact your own high school physics teacher.
Before you call:
- Familiarize yourself with the project: read up on our community goals and check out our project FAQ.
- Plan your talking points. Are you just promoting STEP UP? Do you want to visit this classroom and do outreach that way? Read through the phone call script and plan your call.
- Gather information: the teacher’s name, school phone number and a good time to call.
- You can pre-call the school's main office or the teacher and first ask when the teacher would be available to chat for 5-10 minutes.
When you call:
- Keep the conversation natural. Don’t feel like you have to stick to your script or plan 100% of the call.
- Reference the project FAQ during the call. The teachers may ask these questions and you can answer from the FAQ, or direct them to the page.
- Tell the teacher to visit STEPUPphysics.org.
- Use these important talking points:
- I would like to see more young women go into physics careers.
- I care about the STEP UP project because...
- STEP UP provides tools to help teachers engage young women’s interest in physics -- you have a lot of influence!
- Visit STEPUPphysics.org to register, join the community, and access STEP UP materials for your classroom!
- Thank them for their time!
- If you are unable to reach the teacher, leave a message on their voicemail or with the main office.
- Use this phone call script for your phone call!
- If you have any questions, check out the Outreach FAQ.
- Our goal is to get these teachers to register for STEP UP.
- Fill out our survey after you reach out to teachers and enter to win swag!