STEP UP is a national community of physics teachers, researchers and professional societies. We design high school physics lessons to empower teachers, create cultural change, and inspire young women to pursue physics in college.
High school teacher leaders from across the country have joined the STEP UP project as Ambassadors to help train others in using STEP UP lesson plans and resources. Together, they have introduced hundreds of teachers to STEP UP resources throughout the year, provided vital feedback to STEP UP program partners, and bonded and reflected as a cohort.
The STEP UP Ambassador application is now closed. Check back in December 2020!
Ambassador Program requirements:
- Attend virtual trainings (3 total) about the STEP UP program, lessons and materials.
- Complete the Careers in Physics and Women in Physics lessons in your classroom (if applicable) and practice recommendations from the Everyday Actions guide.
- Attend the 2020 STEP UP Summit prior to the 2020 AAPT Summer Meeting in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- Travel to and from the summit as well as your hotel costs will be covered by the project. We expect Ambassadors to travel into Grand Rapids, Michigan on Friday, July 17 and leave on Sunday, July 19 (evening) or Monday, July 20.
Fall 2020-Spring 2021:
- Recruit 25-35 or more physics teachers and prepare them to use STEP UP materials in their classrooms. This is done via in-person one-day workshops or personal outreach during the 2020-2021 school year.
- Maintain personal contact with recruited teacher participants to build a sense of community, gain feedback on their implementation of the lessons, and their impact on students.
- Meet virtually at least one hour per month (starting Fall 2020) with Ambassador Leads and the rest of the Ambassador cohort to reflect on their activities, lesson implementation and impact.