Emerging Soft Matter Excellence Award
The DSOFT Emerging Soft Matter Excellence (ESME) Award recognizes an exceptional graduate student pursuing research in soft matter physics. To be considered for the ESME Award the student must:
- be a DSOFT member;
- be currently pursuing a PhD;
- not have completed the PhD requirements before the October 27, 2023 application deadline.
The DSOFT ESME committee will select 12 finalists who will be invited to give a 12-minute talk in a special DSOFT Early Career Awards Symposium at the March Meeting. Finalists will also be invited to a special celebratory dinner with the DSOFT Chair and ESME Committee.
The Awards Symposium will be open to all March Meeting attendees and advertised broadly to DSOFT members. Following the Symposium, the ESME Committee will select the ESME Award winner based on the quality of the candidate’s research, their presentation, and their response to questions. The winner will be announced and recognized at the DSOFT Business Meeting, and will receive an award certificate and $250 honorarium. Help us continue to offer this new award by giving to our fundraising campaign here.
Call for Nominations
To apply for the Emerging Soft Matter Excellence Award, eligible graduate students should complete the ESME Application, which consists of:
- An abstract for a contributed talk to the DSOFT program at the March Meeting.**
- Proof of abstract submission,
- A curriculum vitae (2 page limit - longer CVs will not be considered),
- A nominating letter (2 page limit - longer letters will not be considered) from a faculty member familiar with you and your work. A link to provide to your nominator to submit their letter is in the SMSE application. Nominators can only make one nomination per year.
Complete Applications are due October 27, 2023. Finalists will be notified in January 2024.
**Submit your abstract using the general abstract submission site for the March Meeting before the general abstract deadline. Make sure to submit your abstract to the DSOFT program (02) and choose DSOFT Sorting Category 0.02.01.00 (i.e., the general DSOFT Focus Sessions sorting category). In the Special Instructions space, enter "ESME Award or X” where X is your preferred DSOFT sorting category if your abstract is not selected for the ESME Symposium.