I am writing to inform you that we are establishing the Ethics Committee. The Committee members will represent a wide variety of professional and personal backgrounds across the DPF membership who are committed to creating a safe professional community in which to collaborate. It will consist of eight members appointed by the DPF Chair in consultation with the DPF Executive Committee, following a call for nominations. The Committee will appoint a Chair among its serving members. The term of all appointees will be two years. Terms are renewable, but an individual should not serve more than four consecutive years. At least two members will be early career members of the DPF, including one graduate student.
The Ethics Committee responsibilities include
- Participate in training and self-educate in anti-harassment and anti-racist practices.
- Propose and oversee the development and implementation of ethics policies for the DPF, including developing the roles and responsibilities of a DPF Ombudsperson and procedures for revocation of DPF membership.
- Regularly review, and when necessary modify, the DPF Core Principles and Community Guidelines (CP&CG) for consistency with current standards and practices, or in response to current events and community feedback.
- Identify and make available educational materials as needed to support ethical best practices involving physicists at educational institutions, and in governmental and industrial research laboratories.
- Enforce the DPF CP&CG as indicated in the CP&CG accountability document.
I really hope that you and your colleagues will nominate outstanding candidates (including yourself) for this very important committee. Nominations are accepted from now through Tuesday, September 15, 2020. The following information needs to be submitted to email@example.com
- Nominee's name
- Nominee's email address
- Nominee's current position
Short description about the nominee's experience on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and any perspective that the nominee would bring to the DPF Ethics Committee.
I very much look forward to receiving many outstanding candidates. I would greatly appreciate it if you could pass on this information to your colleagues.